Solved

Considering an MBA in Marketing...maybe.

• 23 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I am considering what I can only call “the nuclear option.”

An opportunity has arisen, allowing me to pursue an extremely affordable education from a reputable college. A quick synopsis/pretext to my question for you:

• I can pursue an MBA with a Marketing Analytics concentration. Or…
  • I can pursue a Masters in Data Science. Or…
  • I stick with my current educational methods: YouTube, Skillshop, Meta, Sprout, LinkedIn Learning and CXL. Or...
  • I stop fixating on education (aka “staying in my lane”).

Like many of you, I am a one person Social Media and Copywriting department. I currently use almost all of Sprout’s tools along with SpyFu to automate the research side of my job, so I might be more reactive to our fans/followers and plan future campaigns. In may ways, sprout takes the bricks out of the briefcase.

My desire for education stems from a strong need to help bridge the informational gap many of us face: marketing’s often vague relationship to revenue, as I don’t have a “buy” button at the end of my attribution funnel, nor do I sufficiently speak the CFO’s language to relay that value effectively (IMO).

I believe there are deeper, more relevant data sets out there and better ways to communicate them. Perhaps going back to school will help me find them…?

Thoughts? 

icon

Best answer by lisa.rodrigo 26 August 2022, 18:44

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@bill.braun Such a complicated decision to make, I thought about it myself a while back when looking to improve my design and social creative skills. I opted in for taking some courses through General Assembly and felt like I improved overall. I know its not as easy and that, but just a thought!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Bill, as a social media marketer with an MBA, I’ll jump into this conversation to say it’s one of the best decisions I did for myself. To your point, you take Accounting and Economics and the like and so back in your job, when presenting marketing to the c-suite, you can talk their language and have a better chance of earning buy-in, budget, what have you. 

I worked full time during my MBA program, and went to school at night, so I was able to apply new ideas right away. While that took me 4 years, it was the right path for me. 

Happy to answer questions as you navigate your decision. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!