Discussion: Self-Care Tips ❤️

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Working in social can be exhausting and with it being #MentalHealthAwarenessMonth, I wanted to ask and see if you all have some go-to self-care tips that you can share?

What are some self-care tips to consider?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I like to take 10 minutes and walk around the block with my dog. It’s not much exercise, but it helps clear my mind. If that doesn’t work, I’ll do the complete opposite and listen to very loud rock music. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I wake up early to read and journal every morning. Took a long time to get into that practice but now it’s my favorite part of the day! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Truly stick to the boundaries you set with your company. There will always be more work, more customer feedback, etc. You have to be able to clock out at some point. 

Designate a no social media timeframe when you’re not at work. We consume social all day and when you look at it after hours, it can become too much. Read a book, play video games, go for a walk, get some exercise, meet up with a friend if you’re comfortable, meditate, take a bath, go to bed early...pick your joy.

When the world gets crazy, only allow yourself to check in on social a few times a day. Trying to follow events as they unfold is information overload and can lead to doom scrolling. If you have a team, alternate with them to reduce exposure to the noise as I like to call it. We absorb everything when we read what’s online and it can take its toll.

Ask for help during major moments on social. I think it’s more than reasonable to tell your company that they are empowered to flag anything they see that could be of concern to your brand. It reduces the burden for you to be the sole protector, which is A LOT. It also allows you to take a breather from social. 

Stretch and take periodic screenbreaks, especially if you’re WFH.