Is Twitter still relevant?

• 7 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello Marketers!

I read and hear a lot about TikTok, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube but except the buzz around Elon Musk’s takeover of the platform, Twitter doesn’t seem to garner much interest anymore. 

I agree it’s a great tool to follow # trends, events, and news, for listening but other than that?

I do B2B marketing and we poorly perform on Twitter, even ads don’t do much. Our growth is on YouTube and LinkedIn. 

5+ years ago, Twitter got much greater returns organically (at another B2B company).

I’d love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

At this point, my team is just “checking the twitter box”. Not being present is an eyebrow raiser, so we share whatever content we can make fit but don’t go out of our way. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Some of our clients decided to drop their Twitter profiles in the last year, while others have chosen to double down (considering a premium account is required to run ads now) on the platform. It really depends on the type of activity/engagement you’re receiving and the value Twitter provides to your brand overall. If switching to Threads, BlueSky, Mastodon, etc. will fill the gap that Twitter leaves, it can’t hurt to dip your toe into those platforms and then decide from what your next step will be.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi 👋 

We have a large audience that still uses X (Twitter) frequently, but our team is constantly trying to find the right opportunity to exit the platform altogether. It’s an interesting tension between an effective distribution channel and the political circumstances (read: Elon) that surround it. 🤔

Badge +1

I couldn’t agree more, Craig!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Personally, I have not been on Twitter since the rebrand. Not even sure why, I think I just forget about it since I don't see the blue bird icon anymore. In our industry, we’ve always consistently posted on Twitter but a large majority of our audience is on Facebook. I’d rather focus on where we get the most engagement and Twitter/TikTok just isn't it for us.