Instagram Tests Moving Every Video to Reels

Userlevel 1
Badge

Happy Tuesday all! 

I was wondering everyone’s thoughts on the recent news about Instagram rolling out tests for replacing all videos with Reels?

• Will this impact the video content you want/have scheduled to push out on the platform?
  • Will adjusting your video content from horizontal to vertical present challenges, especially if your content is produced by a media/video department? 
  • If the change becomes a permanent fixture of Instagram, how will Sprout adapt to the changes? Will publishing all videos to “Reels” solely become an on-platform operation?
  • It wasn’t stated in any of the articles, but how will videos already on the platform be converted into Reels, or will they simply grandfather in that content?

Anyway, I’m appreciative of any and all insights this community has to offer on this topic. It would be an interesting change for sure.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This is such a great post. I don’t want to dominate the conversation BUT short-form video is certainly all of the crazy. It’s something that we’ve found in our data, too! 

Here is a data visualization from our 2022 Index:

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is such a great post. I don’t want to dominate the conversation BUT short-form video is certainly all of the crazy. It’s something that we’ve found in our data, too! 

Here is a data visualization from our 2022 Index:

Appreciate the insights, Mike! I would agree that short-form video is king.  We don’t publish anything on our channels that is longer that 60 seconds for that reason. We have a video department within our marketing team that is responsible for production of the content. It’s a small team and if this move becomes a permanent fixture of the channel, we may have to adjust/adapt how our videos are filmed to account just for Instagram (Would much rather have the vertical look that fills the screen versus the horizontal look with the black bars on the top and bottom). It isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it’s just adding more to their already full plate. I’m more curious to see how they will handle video content already on the platform. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Exciting news! Instagram Reels Reporting is live in Sprout! 

Here’s the official announcement in our community!