October is Disability Employment Awareness Month

• 4 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM), a month dedicated to raising awareness on how to build a more inclusive workplace for individuals with disabilities. 

I spent a lot of time today reading through LinkedIn, learning what others are doing to raise awareness and I highly recommend you do the same. Some of the hashtags I searched through were: #NDEAM #DisabilityInclusion #DisabilityAwareness and #InclusionAtWork. The content shared browsing these hashtags was some great quick tips on how you can take action, or share these resources with the proper teams at your company. My favorite post found today was from Alycia Anderson and included some great tips, TED Talks, a podcast recommendation, and more.

Lastly, one of my favorite resources for education on creating accessible social media content is Accessible Social, a free resource from one of our community members @AlexaHeinrich

Go check out these resources and let us know what you are doing to raise awareness this month.

NDEAM Poster 2022 Description
The poster is rectangular in shape with a black colored chalkboard background overlaid with mathematical equations. In the center of the poster, on a diagonal, is a black rectangle bordered by small teal, yellow and red rectangles. It features the 2022 NDEAM theme, “Disability: Part of the Equity Equation,” along with an equation composed of several graphics: a circular photo of a woman in a wheelchair working at a computer with colleagues, followed by a plus sign, followed by a square image of a woman who uses crutches viewing a document with a colleague, followed by an equal sign, followed by a light bulb icon. Across the top of the rectangle in small, white letters are the words National Disability Employment Awareness Month. Along the bottom in small white letters is the hashtag “NDEAM” followed by ODEP’s website address, dol.gov/ODEP. In the lower right corner in white lettering is the DOL seal followed by the words “Office of Disability Employment Policy United States Department of Labor.”

Source: US Department of Labor

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

In November, I will be co-leading a panel at Sprout about mental health awareness. As noted in @LauraPorcincula’s post, many obstacles include “invisible” challenges or disabilities. I am extremely grateful that we are using this community space to help talk about these topics in meaningful ways.

I noticed that @AlexaHeinrich is a member of our community! Alexa is THE gold standard of what it means to be an advocate for accessibility. If you haven’t, definitely check out her website as well as her forever fruitful Twitter page. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks for sharing that, @mike.blight. Can’t wait for the panel next month! And absolutely true, our community founder @AlexaHeinrich is a powerhouse of insights and a vocal advocate for accessibility. We’re so lucky to have her here!