Solved

Social Media Engagement Decrease

• 12 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

My companies social media engagement has plummeted YoY. Any thoughts as to why?

icon

Best answer by Jonathan Zuluaga 15 April 2022, 21:15

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

HI!

What kind of content are you posting? I find that the more I switch up the content-the better the engagement. You can also try inviting new people to like your page and get fresh followers. Or, a post with the reactions being used is always great for engagement. Like typing “leave a heart reaction for this picture, or a laughing reacting for that picture...” etc.

What kind of company are you at? 

Badge

What platform are you using?

Certain platforms, such as Facebook will change algorithms and as your page grows, they push your content out less. 

We need more info to help you :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Genevieve,

We are using Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. I’ve shared what you mentioned to management and they are certain the answer is that we are posting too much. I’ve attached our YoY analytics pulled from Sprout. Looking at those number, which have plummeted, what are your thoughts? Here are our channels.

With gratitude,
Nikki

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@social.manager I think other brands have certainly seen this happen as well! A few things thoughts:

• Has your posting cadence changed or volume?
  • It looks like paid drove a ton of your previous year results, has investment decreased?
  • I would also look back at top performing content and try to repurpose some of it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your feedback!

We did change our candece and are posting a lot more across all channels.

In addition, we did decrease our paid advertising YoY.

My boss believe there is no correlation between organic growth/engagement/impression and paid ro boosted ads smh.

Lastly, would you be open to having a 30 minute call with me so I can pick your brain? If not, I completely understand.

With gratitude,
Nikki

Badge

@social.manager I think other brands have certainly seen this happen as well! A few things thoughts:

• Has your posting cadence changed or volume?
  • It looks like paid drove a ton of your previous year results, has investment decreased?
  • I would also look back at top performing content and try to repurpose some of it. 

I agree with re-using top performing content that is still relevant. I have personally had success with this. I have also ‘boosted’ (on FB) a well performing post, and reused it several times. The higher amount of engagement on it has appeared to instil some trust for new audience members and they were more likely to engage with me. 

I had a look at your content. It is very professional and well done. Some things that I may point out (you dont need to take anything on board). 

• I would reduce the copy amount. Most readers just scan the copy and will read the first few words of each sentence - so make these words count.
  • For videos (I love these by the way, it shows how human you are, fabulous) just watch the cropping/dimensions. If a video it filmed in portrait, I would personally post it as portrait - and not add the blank sides in. The reason for this is it will take more space on screens and hopefully grab more attention. 

I am not an expert, these are just the things I have learnt along the way managing two not for profits’ content. 

Again, love your work,

Badge

Hi Genevieve,

We are using Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. I’ve shared what you mentioned to management and they are certain the answer is that we are posting too much. I’ve attached our YoY analytics pulled from Sprout. Looking at those number, which have plummeted, what are your thoughts? Here are our channels.

With gratitude,
Nikki

Hello Nikki,

Since you have noticed a plummet in engagement since pulling back on paid posts - i would certainly agree this has a direct correlation. My thoughts are it would reduce organic reach, as fewer people are seeing your posts, fewer people are potentially sharing/reposting your content, which would generate organic engagement. 

I have also had some trouble posting anything mentioning Ukraine on one of my pages, with facebook/insta blocking some of my content. It was all very friendly, and not political. I do wonder if posting about your humanitarian efforts could be being filtered - sorry I don't have correct lingo, but I think you know what I mean.

Userlevel 2

I know this is an older conversation, but we’ve definitely seen major drops in impressions/engagement across the board beginning around the time this thread was started (mostly on Facebook and Instagram, but LinkedIn too). Our paid spend has been pretty consistent YoY - per approved client budgets. I just spoke with a FB rep to ask if he knew the reason we were seeing drops. He had no idea and said, “maybe check the time of day you’re posting”. I found an article talking about the types of content FB demotes (published right around the time we were seeing these massive drops): https://transparency.fb.com/features/approach-to-ranking/types-of-content-we-demote 

The FB rep said the article was interesting, but those factors (mentioned in the article) shouldn’t be affecting our performance. I’m highly suspicious. The article was published in April (updated in June as of this post). I also asked about algorithm changes around that time (March/April) and he said he wasn’t aware of any changes. Again. Skeptical. If the majority of our clients, across various teams saw the same anomaly, either something changed on the platform or something changed with users/in society, right? The latter seems less likely. 

Thoughts?

Hi guys, new to the Sprout Community Hub but wanted to come on here and see if anyone has experienced any issues with a sudden drop in engagements, which it looks like you have. Ours pretty much plummeted overnight for some of our clients - going from around 1,000 likes organically per post on Instagram, for example to a couple of hundred at most now. The Facebook ‘Marketing Experts’ are useless when it comes to providing any clear reasons why this could be, but it can’t just be a coincidence! Has anyone managed to find any solutions?