2-Minute Video

Watch Now: This Week In Social - August 4th

• 4 August 2023
  • 9 replies
Watch Now: This Week In Social - August 4th
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Let’s step into This Week in Social, your gateway to the freshest insights in the realm of social media. Join us as we uncover the latest buzz, including intriguing developments like TikTok's style with YouTube Shorts, exciting enhancements to Threads, the ever-evolving Meta AI Chatbots, and other captivating topics!

Watch Now:

Want to learn more? 

Q: With new Thread features and changes quickly being implemented, is your brand utilizing the platform? If not, why not?

Share your thoughts in the thread below by Thursday, August 10th. One lucky winner from the thread stands to win some exciting Arboretum swag! ✨

9 replies

Userlevel 3

We are using the platform, albeit not as consistently as we could be. We’re using the platform because a large part of our community is there so it makes sense for us to be, and as a user experience company, we like to be able to speak to what’s working and what’s not out in the world. 

In terms of why we’re not using it more consistently, we’re a smaller social team (you’re looking at her) and until I’m able to schedule the content it’s just difficult to commit to posting super regularly. However, I’m planning to use it to “live-tweet” when I’m onsite at our upcoming conference and see how that performs - stay tuned! 👀

Loved the video btw, great update from a busy week of AI announcements - I’m also interested to see how YouTube’s AI generated video summaries are from an experience lens. 

Userlevel 1

We haven’t jumped on the Threads bandwagon yet, and won’t until they make some accessibility updates! Our audience also doesn’t seem to be making the switch, so it doesn’t make sense for us to spend our effort (we’re also a tiny social team @rebecca.taylor!) establishing a strategy there just yet!

Userlevel 2

We’ve claimed our accounts on Threads, but haven’t utilized it yet. The facts that there doesn’t appear to be any scheduling feature and there isn’t a browser version make it difficult for us to effectively manage our content calendar and re-engage with our audience.

We’re interested in seeing where it goes, but we don’t feel it’s ready just yet.

Badge

We do have a Threads profile but find it hard to be consistent with the scheduling feature like those above mentioned. I think we’re all just figuring it out (including Meta)! I have challenged my team to come up with 50 Threads prompts in 1 hr as a way to get our creative conversation juices flowing. 

Userlevel 1

We haven’t jumped in yet, but have secured our handle. Once threads is integrated into scheduling/planning tools like Sprout, absolutely, will be active there. But for now, as a 1-person social/comms team for a tech startup, during our busiest time of the year hosting a major international tech summit and such, we haven’t had the time to focus and manually publish to another platform. 

This is great information, we’ve joined threads and started using it to cross-post with content that made sense to share with our following. With it’s smaller activity at the moment, we’re excited see where it goes. Overall, glad to have a platform to prompt questions and hear responses from our community, each platform gives us better insights to what people are looking for. 

We have also just restarted our strategy with Pinterest, so this is great to know users are more commonly going to Pinterest to shop and can easily create our content with that in mind. Do others feel videos have been performing well or not great on this channel? Interested to hear! 

We are using Threads, but as others have said not being able to schedule content means it doesn’t fit into my workflow easily. The lack of accessibility features is also frustrating, but since alt text stopped working for us on Instagram a while ago (no response from Meta support) I’m used to posting image descriptions in the text of the post instead anyway (not ideal I know, but the best I can do on Threads and Insta at the moment. Any advice much appreciated!). 

A small proportion of our audience is active on Threads. The more relaxed and conversational style feels quite different from other platforms, so we’re still experimenting with different types of content to see what’s well received there. 

We have a handle but haven’t used the platform yet as a small proportion of our audience is Active on Threads and we’re currently trying to expand our audience on our existing platforms. It will be interesting to see which direction Threads takes, to see if it will be taking a bigger role in our social strategy, but as a one person team managing all digital marketing for a large organisation based in several locations, it’s not something that we will be investing lots of time in at the moment. 

__

Fiona P

Similar situation as others in the comments — small social team, and Meta hasn’t made Threads easily accessible (or focused on accessibility options in general). Without the ability to schedule posts and lacking a desktop option means we don’t post regularly. Also noting the decrease in usage/users means our energy is better suited to focus on other platforms right now.