Solved

What do I need to know logistically for a brand name change for social handles?

• 26 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey there! I’m curious if anyone has ever navigated the logistics of a name change for a brand on social and what advice you might have per platform. Any ideas? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by lianna 6 July 2023, 01:54

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1

I haven’t done this in a while but I remember Twitter always being the most difficult!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Gotcha, ok! What were the difficult elements?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

just did this and it wasn’t as bad as I thought, but not ideal. 

Twitter actually was easiest as we already had the new handle secured. Day of launch I logged into the new handle, changed it to our managing partner’s name because it was his personal twitter. Then logged into our old handle, and changed it to the newly available one. 

Instagram I messed up because I made a “throwaway” account before launch. They will not release the handle after an account is deleted, I still need to email them and see if there’s anything I can do. Added an underscore in the interim. 

inkedIn and Facebook were also both fairly easy, just in settings. Both have redirected the old handle to the new as well so no broken links there. LinkedIn you don’t really need to reserve as multiple businesses can have the same name, I didn’t reserve anything. Facebook was also a really quick swap. 

The main thing that held me back was remembering passwords and how slow confirmation/verification emails sent for all of them.