Humbling Lessons from My First Social Media Contest Attempt

• 11 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3

I remember the first time I attempted a social media contest early on in my career… It was humbling to say the least. I had so much excitement going in and I thought SURELY this would work wonders and boost engagement. But to my surprise, there was no participation whatsoever - a big fat zero!

In hindsight, with more experience now, I understand why it didn't take off. It was a small local brand, and I naively relied on just one or maybe two Instagram posts for promotion. Social media contests are a whole different ballgame; they require careful planning, intention, and most importantly, value. I'm grateful for the insights I've gained along the way, which now help me guide my clients when they approach me with that all-too-familiar excitement about running a contest.

Has anyone else had a humbling experience with a social media contest? 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@hayley.gilbert YESSS! I feel this to my core. Early on in my career I had a similar experience. It goes to show you that not always “if you build it, they will come” will work. It also taught me that the prizes have to be beneficial to the participants, i hope this week, you’ll see that as well with the AMAZING prizes we have coming!