Threads Accessibility

• 9 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

There's apparently a visible alt text badge on Threads now, but you have to turn it on.

Head to your profile, tap the two lines above your profile picture, click Settings, then Accessibility, and then you'll see an option for "show alt text" with a toggle next to it. Toggle it on and an alt text label will appear on images that have alt text.

From the looks of it, the alt text badge is only visible on images that have alt text added to them AND if you click into a specific post. You won’t see any alt text badges on your feed, which is just weird.

Please note that not everyone has access to this feature yet. You should also remember that not everyone (including myself) has access to the alt text field on Threads yet, so some folks may be writing image descriptions directly in their posts instead, so an alt text badge wouldn’t show up on their images despite them taking the steps to make their content accessible.

Also, Threads has new updates out as of today, so make sure you update your app!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you for sharing this update @AlexaHeinrich!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

LOL I love how after I post this, Threads gives me back the alt text field and now I’m seeing the visible alt text badge in my feed. That app is so confusing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @AlexaHeinrich! I wanted to share an update that the Threads integration in Sprout has arrived, however they did not include alt text as part of the API. I would love for you to open and Idea so we can share the need for alt text to be added to the API.

Here’s the official Threads announcement:

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Yeah I was ranting about the Threads API being limited on LinkedIn the other day, @Laura Porcincula. It’s almost like Meta duplicated the parameters from the Instagram API, since third-party sites like Sprout can’t access that platform’s alt text field either. It’s super frustrating, especially since the Facebook API doesn’t have the same issue. Meta needs to get its ish together lol. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Idea created!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you @AlexaHeinrich! I shared it with the team.

@jessie.brown, can you give the Idea an upvote please?