Solved

Trending Music and Memes: Is is a copyright concern for you?

• 18 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Title should read: Trending Music and Memes: Is copyright a concern for you? *

What is your social team and company’s approvals process when working with possibly copyrighted material, i.e. trending music and memes?

Tagging accessibility queens: @perkins.webmaster @AlexaHeinrich 

icon

Best answer by Nycole 19 December 2023, 03:46

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As a large veterinary brand, we are extremely cautious around this issue and encourage that caution with our individual veterinary hospitals on social media, as well. We do not post any music or memes on our brand social media pages that we do not have the rights to use. Additionally, as I mentioned, we advise our veterinary hospitals on their social media usage through a guidebook that notates the issues with using copyright music/images and reminds our hospitals’ page editors to either use their original audio for any video content or to utilize music that they have the rights to.

Just a note in case it’s helpful: If we share UGC that includes copyright music/audio, then we will post the content without any audio. We do notate to the user when we are asking for permission to share that we will not be including the audio.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Not a problem for us because we don’t use it 😉. Highly recommend steering clear as companies continue to get sued especially for music usage or celebrity photo repurposing. This is just my recco, there are a ton of brands out there that have built their audience on content they shouldn’t legally be using. Whether or not someone comes after you is a crap shoot so all depends on how much risk you/your legal team is willing to make. 

When it comes to music just make sure you’re using it from the specific brand approved libraries on the varying platforms. If you’re working with creators make sure they are also checking and then get the titles from them so you can scan the library to be extra safe.