Skip to main content

The pros and cons of social media in healthcare

• 17 July 2024
  • 1 reply

The healthcare industry is gradually embracing the power of social media, yet some professionals are still striving to convince their leaders of its impact. Do you struggle with this too?

From enhancing patient engagement to revolutionizing service delivery, the benefits are substantial. However, these advantages are accompanied by risks and challenges. To effectively navigate these waters, Sprout created this article to help healthcare marketing leaders understand the pros and cons of social media in the healthcare industry.

How have you successfully gained buy-in from your leadership to implement new technology in your organization? Let's delve deeper into this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I think it really just depends if your leadership is more focused on brand vs. metrics. The hardest thing about social media in healthcare if you work in D2C, that e-commerce or B2B brands don’t have to deal with, is the inability to have a complete picture of the patient journey. 

You can’t say I did # thought leadership posts on XYZ, and the patient engaged with all of them, and then they went on to book an appointment and then they went on to show up to that appointment and were considered a new patient. 

So, if your leadership team is very metrics focused, I could see why it would be hard to see the value because lead attribution is impossible.