Solved

Question: Global Social Strategy

• 28 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there! I’m thrilled to be a member of this community! 

I’m looking for some advice regarding global social content strategy. Our company has recently acquired a company in the U.K., making us global. 

When looking at content calendars, how do you decide which holidays or celebrations to feature on social media? Our leadership wants to move forward with creating content for U.S.-only holidays (think 4th of July or Memorial Day). These are either celebrated on different days or not celebrated at all in the U.K. We believe we either need to be focused on both regions or none at all - as it might ignore a large portion of our employee base. 

How do we find a happy medium? Move forward with global or international-focused holidays? 

icon

Best answer by Jacqui 3 May 2022, 23:45

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @victoriawalenga! I manage social media for an international nonprofit org, with members in over 200 countries. While our headquarters is based in the US, I try to avoid posting about national holidays. I’ll post content for internationally recognized days that are relevant to my audience - World Diabetes Day, International Women's Day, etc. This calendar comes in handy: https://www.un.org/en/observances/international-days-and-weeks

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Jacqui - this is so helpful! I totally agree and this is a great list. Do you typically post for Pride month or anything else not recgonized by the UN? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Not for Pride month, but we do post for International Childhood Cancer Awareness Day, which is not on the UN list. We really only post about days that align with our org’s global causes or causes widely served by our members. Oh, and World Emoji Day because that’s just fun. 🙂 Glad I could help!

Great question and leads into bigger question.  What is the best way for an international company to structure, manage and effectively participate in social media to support business and brand goals?  And how to do this in an efficient manner.  For some of our larger international clients, there are different business units (and sub brands or stand alone brands) in different regions and in different countries.  For others, it’s the same business unit and brand but sold and managed at a local country (or region) level.  At some point in time, a decision is needed to determine if social media (and all marketing) should be localized.  Localization can be done by a central group or it can be done as part of the local BU or region/country.  For social, one FB, IG and [insert other platform] might lose relevance (or worse, be offensive) if all efforts and content are done from the perspective of the home base of the brand - think Ford Nova (No Go) intro into Spanish speaking countries.  This might be an opportunity for you to step back and to conduct a strategy roadmap of all marketing efforts (or just social if that is your only domain) as your company expands into different countries and cultures. Getting content right is crucial but a larger framework could be the info and aircover you need to make sure decisions move beyond tactical.