Solved

Upskilling Opinions - What to do and whom to do it with.

• 20 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’m not one to be idle.  As I was asked to assume the role of “Social Media Guy” in my company with no prior experience, my focus (insistence, really) on education has been effectively non-stop for six years. Endless seminars, webinars, online classes etc for countless subjects, all in an effort not just to excel at my job, but to truly make a difference in the future of my company.  

Here’s the problem:  there is precious little “advanced” education out there. The vast majority of online courses are focused - nay fixated - on the basic architecture and implementation of the application, be it Facebook, Instagram, Google Analytics and the like.  I need more, and I know of very few places to get it.   

So, far here’s my list of resources I consider potentially “Advanced”:

Facebook Ads: Jon Loomer’s “Power Hitters Club”

Analytics: Trust Insights “So What” videos on YouTube & measurementmarketing.io

Google Ads: CXL.com (Potentially)

Copywriting: Also, CXL

Pinterest/Twitter: NO Earthly Clue

Presentation/Data Vis Skills (NEED THOSE): Absolutely, unequivocally, no idea

So, now that you’ve read my diatribe, whatcha think? Who do you trust for advanced education?

Don’t get me wrong...I’m all for the “learn by doing” mantra, and I am - but education is the far faster route to understanding the potential of a thing.  I don’t know what I don’t know.  

Ya know?

Bill

icon

Best answer by Brooke B. Sellas 1 November 2021, 21:20

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m going to definitely plug Sprout’s learning, as well.

You specifically called out analytics, so I’d check out the social analysts section and courses, but there’s a lot here for you to dig into!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Any of Google’s free certificates. So far I’ve been able to complete analytics and advanced analytics (it DOES take some serious time). I plan on tackling ads, too. I don’t “do” ads, but any knowledge on data/ads/acquisition is critical for social media peeps (IMO).

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Brooke B. Sellas your analysis is right on point. Knowing how ads work, how to quantify attribution and what to do next (the $60k question), is the ultimate goal. I don’t believe I have to be a savant at all things digital marketing, but I do have to be sufficiently competent in them if I am to participate in the conversations and offer valuable takeaways/recommendations. 

So far I have the Google Analytics Basic Cert. The Google Ads Display Cert in almost in my hands. Getting the Advanced GA Cert & GA Search Cert are also on the docket, then on to Facebook Certs. 

Admittedly, these only verify you know the architecture - what components exist within the system. The upper echelon of most companies generally recognize these as sufficient verification you are knowledgeable in “The Dark Arts,” which might be enough to let me do more advertising and analysis in the long run.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You specifically called out analytics, so I’d check out the social analysts section and courses, but there’s a lot here for you to dig into!

I just passed the Sprout Premium Analytics Certification and have the Google Analytics Basic Cert. Almost done with Google Display Ads Cert.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I just passed the Sprout Premium Analytics Certification and have the Google Analytics Basic Cert. Almost done with Google Display Ads Cert.  

I know we talked about it on the call, but let me call it out here, too! This is awesome, Bill!!! Congratulations!

Badge

Madalyn Sklar is my Twitter authority. https://madalynsklar.thinkific.com/

I can help with Pinterest. I have a new ads mini course, and my blog and live show cover Pinterest topics (among other things, but I’m heavy into Pinterest and tend to go deep.

There are also several good memberships you could look at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1742266119167625 - it’s a free group, and Megan opens her paid membership a couple of times a year. Jennifer Priest is also a good source. She has a Facebook group, but also has a free course: https://www.smartcreativesocial.com/course/