Skip to main content

AI Pros and Cons: There's a Time and a Place

• 15 July 2024
  • 6 replies

Me and AI have a very complicated relationship. I’m a one person social team, so when the tools first launched I was relying on them heavily. I championed for them, I fought back when people said the tools were scary, and I was looking forward to the future of my job being easier because of them.

But now? I’m starting to get tired.

I’m tired of every single platform shoving new (and most of the time un-necessary) AI tools in my face to do something I’ve never needed AI to do before.

• Want to write a LinkedIn post? REWRITE IT USING OUR NEW AI TOOL, IT’S GREAT YOU’LL LOVE IT!
  • Want to look for a stock photo on Adobe? TOO BAD, HERE’S 4 PAGES OF AI GENERATED SMOOTH TEXTURE 6 FINGER HANDS!
  • Want to ask a question about a product? HERE, TRY OUR AI CHATBOT THAT TOALLY KNOWS HOW TO HELP!

The worst part of it all is that almost all of these tools feel rushed, have y’all noticed how broken some of them are? In the race to stay competitive, we now have a ton of non-helpful tools jammed into places that we just don’t need them (if I see that ‘swap background with AI’ popup on Adobe Stock one more time I might lose it). 

None of it feels authentic anymore. It’s like we’re all watching a bunch of bots yelling at each other. 

Despite all of my whining and complaining I’m still a champion for AI tools - it’s just all about the right time and place.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Jordan, yes, I can relate to that experience. It’s a traffic jam of options, few of which really excel as of now, some of which don’t improve content creation challenges  much at all. At some point, a truly excellent, well-designed tool will emerge and show what AI can do in content creation (for social media). But we’re not quite there yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m holding out hope for that too, @MisterP! We’re getting soooo close. 

This is the chuckle I didn’t know I needed this morning. I’ve mostly stuck to rewrites or imaginings of social copy, but I noticed this morning LI’s new AI writing feature. A lot of LI poster’s long form posts really annoy me, but now they get to be long form AND AI?! No thank you, AI overlords. 😅

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@jacqueline.mccormick that’s exactly what inspired this post. 😂 It’s sooo helpful….until it’s not.

Hi Jordan, thanks for sharing your sentiment on this. I was very hesitant to jump on the bandwagon when it was 🔥 . Based on your personal experience, would you still continue using some of the AI tools for social media content? If so, which one would you recommend? 

We’d love to hear your feedback on how we can improve our social media content on TikTok (https://www.tiktok.com/@the.flowops) and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/the.flowops?igsh=Z2xubnc3ZTZ5YnNw&utm_source=qr). We’re also getting started on Pinterest, so if anyone here has some insights into this that’d be really great.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I can tell some comments on our LinkedIn brand posts are coming from bots and not as fun engaging with machines, but ya gotta show you’re listening.

I also see colleagues using ChatGPT to write their LinkedIn posts and now I’m at the point where I just scroll past… it loses authenticity for me.