Solved

Engagement Rate

• 4 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

For engagement rate, do you include video views as an engagement metric for total engagements? 

If not, why? 

icon

Best answer by sarah.rowe 19 December 2023, 17:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I definitely would! I’d consider only counting views over three seconds as a true “view” though. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I like to compare video views to impressions (so, an engagement rate) to understand if people are watching, but I prefer keeping that stat separate from the post’s overall engagement rate (comments, likes, etc) so it doesn’t skew results when comparing a brand’s overall engagement rate. 

PS I agree with emma.peneguy re only counting views over 3 seconds

@katie.hogan do your videos include written content (guides, filler content, etc.) along with them? Or are these standalone videos?

If there is content connected, I typically would only count the views of the content piece as a whole (video included) since the idea is to get them to do both actions of reading and watching. If it is just the video alone I would definitely count the views as engagement, and similar to both Sarah and Emma’s answers above, if it’s over a set seconds viewed count.

Hey Katie! 

I include video views for TikTok and Instagram, where I’m posting a lot of videos. It helps us to see who is engaging with our video content and what video content is performing the best. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We started including video views as part of engagement this year. With such an emphasis on video now, it just makes sense to consider a view as important as a reaction, comment, or share. Of course, we also want to have video views data ready in case someone asks about that speicfically.