Are you brands staying on Twitter? What are you recommending?

• 21 November 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi team, 

With everything Elon Musk has said in the last few days and the way that larger brands are pulling out, I’m curious - what’s the temperature for your clients? Are they choosing to keep their account but go inactive? And what are their major reasons? 

If they’re going inactive, are they ghosting the platform, leaving a note, going private, etc.? 

I’m interested in hearing what other marketers are seeing, experiencing, and recommending?

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Twitter/X is a very active place for us when it comes to customer service and testimonials. So we aren’t abandoning our audience as a brand. Personally I stopped posting. It can be a difficult choice to make but helping our customers will always be a priority for us. We’re trying to pull them to our other channels as best we can.

Thank you for this perspective! We have a few clients who have more stake in the conversations that are happening there in their industry than others. It’s been a tricky line to walk. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thank you for this perspective! We have a few clients who have more stake in the conversations that are happening there in their industry than others. It’s been a tricky line to walk. 

Yeah my rule of thumb is if our customers need us and are talking to us, we gotta be there for them. Don’t think about it as audience or brand building anymore just relationship focused. 

For the brands that can avoid it get them excited about Threads and testing things there. Some brands are seeing luck there vs. x. 

I have been wondering about this as well -- we are a college in a bigger university, and a lot of our faculty are on X as their only social media, but I have heard that a lot of companies/agencies/higher ed institutions are encouraging a shift to threads in lieu of Elon Musk’s remarks. Wondering if anyone has any long term plans to make a shift or if you’re staying put because people still reach out to you there. I see some comments above about customers still being on X.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have been wondering about this as well -- we are a college in a bigger university, and a lot of our faculty are on X as their only social media, but I have heard that a lot of companies/agencies/higher ed institutions are encouraging a shift to threads in lieu of Elon Musk’s remarks. Wondering if anyone has any long term plans to make a shift or if you’re staying put because people still reach out to you there. I see some comments above about customers still being on X.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone who is building a personal brand stay on Twitter as their only platform. They don’t have to leave it but they should be building their audience on LinkedIn and Threads too. Brands are a different story all depends on your audiences needs.

Userlevel 1

We deleted our account entirely a few months ago. Twitter/X was just going in a direction that wasn’t a good fit for our brand - a financial institution - anymore. Historically, we didn’t have members contacting us on that platform and low (almost zero) engagement. So we pulled out and it’s allowed us to focus our efforts on the channels that provide the best return for us. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have recommended that our organization stop actively posting on X starting in 2024. Besides the constantly controversy surrounding it, it is just not a popular platform for our users. We have the lowest number of users, engagements, etc. there. 

I’d love to go all in on Threads instead, but won’t until they release an API that allows me to post there using Sprout. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We decided to be inactive on Twitter/X a few months before it was even sold to Elon. It was our least engaged with channel and the ROI was better spent in other areas. That was easy one to decide on.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have recommended that our organization stop actively posting on X starting in 2024. Besides the constantly controversy surrounding it, it is just not a popular platform for our users. We have the lowest number of users, engagements, etc. there. 

I’d love to go all in on Threads instead, but won’t until they release an API that allows me to post there using Sprout. 

Worth starting to post and building slow and steady now so your account doesn’t have to catch up if an API takes a long time.