Community Question

Bluesky: The Future of Social Media?

Bluesky: The Future of Social Media?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Bluesky's goal is to create a more transparent, decentralized, and user-controlled social media ecosystem. The aim is to give users more control over their data, and to reduce the power of big tech companies over social media.

I am curious to know what you think about this new development. Do you think that Bluesky has the potential to change the way we use social media? Will it be successful in achieving its goals, or will it face challenges along the way? What are your predictions for the future of social media, and how do you think Bluesky fits into that picture?

Let's start a discussion in the comments below. Share your thoughts, opinions, and predictions about the future of social media and Twitter's Bluesky.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I signed up for the waitlist, but really as a due diligence procedure. It’s pretty clear that twitter is kind of a mess, but losing a whole social platform would be a detriment. If there was an indication that Sprout was exploring integration, it would be probably make an impact.

I’m really eager to try out Bluesky. I’m on the waitlist. Does anyone have Bluesky invites so I can start testing it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’m super excited and on the wait list too, excited to check it out!

Curious if you’ve joined or have opinions @kirsty.williams @lisa.sobel @brittany.fryman @esther.nadim @josh.hedrick 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m not on the waiting list, but my coworkers are.

It seems like a slow process to get on BlueSky, but the company is ensuring that all its bases are covered before having too many accounts rush to join at once. When compared to the overnight launch of Threads, which has plenty of active accounts but is missing many key features, it’s hard to say which launch-style is best.

If anyone is on both Threads and BlueSky, I’d love to hear your take and comparisons.

Userlevel 1

If anyone still needs an invite, please let me know!

Userlevel 1

We just created an account this week and are amazed at how much like Twitter it is.  The main downfall is the lack of user base right now with some of the accounts we follow and regularly tag, but the platform seems to be growing and we are starting to see some growth in followers.  You do get up to 300 characters and the headlines show in the link preview which is nice to have back.  We are adding this into our regular posting schedule (just manually posting for now) to see if we can grow our followers and have content up if Twitter does start to charge for accounts.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

@LeslieDC I would love an invite! Want to explore/check it out, but stuck on the wait list. Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@LeslieDC  Id love a invite

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m honestly not a Bluesky fan at all. I’ve been on there since pretty early. It feels too much like Twitter and it is hard to connect with new people on there. Also doesn’t have the potential for brands that Threads does. Threads is where I spend my time now. Has been great for building new community. They’re thoughtfully building it and rolling out new features regularly. Long term I think it has the most staying power.

Here are a few codes if anyone wants one

bsky-social-punms-bh4uh
bsky-social-wngym-g5w2k
bsky-social-fukxo-6grrq

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

As with Threads, I’ll check it out and see if I notice actual people there. 

My challenge with Threads is that I saw lots of brands there trying to be clever but not many people. 

We go where the people are. After all - the people are the folks who decide to get new software, not the brands. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

As with Threads, I’ll check it out and see if I notice actual people there. 

My challenge with Threads is that I saw lots of brands there trying to be clever but not many people. 

We go where the people are. After all - the people are the folks who decide to get new software, not the brands. 

Only some brands jumped on the “funny train” but thankfully that calmed down. There are a ton of brands saying they see way better engagement already on Threads compared to Twitter. Threads continues to get more active as more features roll out. If you’re not on and checking in often your customers may already be talking about you without you knowing.