Skip to main content

If you’re wondering what kind of content your team should prioritize with limited budgets and bandwidth, and how to deliver the greatest return on investment from your efforts, The 2024 Social Media Content Strategy Report by Sprout Social has got you covered.

In this report you’ll find answers to questions like:

• How many and which platforms do users have profiles on?

• What actions can you take on social to compel consumers to buy?

• Is there a certain content type that is more successful by platform?

• How can I be sure to share the right content on the right platform for my audience?

Which network or demographic insight surprised you the most and why?

We want to hear from you! Share your answer in the thread below for a chance to win 1 of 3 swag packages.

*The promotion begins at 10 am Central Time on October 3rd, 2024 and ends at 11:59 pm Central Time on October 7th, 2024. To participate in the promotion, answer and reply to the discussion question. No purchase necessary. There will be a total of three prizes awarded. Each prize will consist of a coffee mug, a pen, a notebook, socks, and an Arboretum branded blanket. Limited to those 21 years or older. Open to legal residents of the United States (with the exception of Hawaii), the District of Columbia (“D.C.”), Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Information provided to Sprout Social, Inc. is subject to our privacy policy. For details, see this promotion’s complete official rules which govern this promotion. Sprout Social, Inc. address: 131 S Dearborn St Ste 700, Chicago, IL 60603.

That the percentage for all linkedin users wasn’t higher.

I was surprised by the amount of users on LinkedIn! Our LinkedIn has been growing tremendously and I am constantly hearing about how people are enjoying LinkedIn more lately because its an overall positive platform. I’d love to hear more about LinkedIn page and groups strategy.

LinkedIn is our best platform so personally was just expecting the percentage to be higher but agreed, would love to hear more about strategies!

Thank you for sharing such a helpful and insightful report, first of all!

So, one of the first data points in the report caught my eye in particular. “At the end of 2023, 38% of all social media users anticipated they would use more platforms in 2024.** All signs point to that prediction being spot-on.” Regardless of AI, proliferation of new platforms, and so on. Consumer engagement is not dipping, and that’s a bit of a (positive) surprise. 

I was shocked to see that product discovery by platform to be Instagram > Facebook  > Tik Tok 

Even being a millennial, I thought Tik Tok would be #1  

Surprised Pinterest and X are higher than LinkedIn

I loved the inclusion of all of the case studies - I’m now obsessed with Cisco’s TikTok!

The most surprising insight for me though was the % of Boomers on TikTok. Whenever I hear anything about TikTok, it almost exclusively has to do with Zoomers & Young Millennials. While the overwhelming majority of those generations do have a TikTok, it surprised me to learn that 2 out of every 5 Boomers does too. I’m curious how their viewing, participation, and perceptions vary from their younger counterparts on the platform.

I was surprised by how many users preferred text posts over static images, especially on Facebook. We rarely ever post just plain text -- it is usually accompanied by a graphic of some kind. We have a few types of posts coming up over the next month where I am going to try plain text instead of using an accompanying graphic to see how engagement does. I’m very curious to see if this will hold true for our audience!

I am very surprised by the most popular content types on LinkedIn. At least for our account, video tends to perform noticeably better than static images or text and our audience definitely has an appetite for longer form videos.

I found it interesting that when asked what platforms brands should avoid, the number one answer was none. I expected more people to be like, "This is our party, get lost brands".

Like several posters here, the Linkedin numbers took me aback There are many ways to engage on Linkedin and the numbers could have (should have?) been higher. Are Linkedin demographics and involvement from users expected to change alot over the next year?

🏆✨ Congratulations @steph.lynn@genevieveberk, and @MattBollinger! Please fill out this form so we can mail out your prizes! https://forms.gle/83L1SM1zZXbgQi2w5