Unraveling Meta Threads: What we learned from our first 30 days on the network

• 17 August 2023
  • 10 replies
Unraveling Meta Threads: What we learned from our first 30 days on the network
Userlevel 1
Badge

Nothing captured first-day-of-school energy quite like the release of Threads, a new text-based social media platform from Meta.

The launch of a new social network is typically met with equal doses of curiosity and concern. The response to Threads was different. Brands and the social media managers that run them took to the platform with enthusiasm. Sure, there was some stress—expressed mainly in the form of overworked social media manager memes—but most seemed excited about the novelty and potential of a new platform.

Threads has generated a lot of discussion since then. What role will it play in existing social media strategies? What do consumers think about it? Does it have staying power?

Read the rest of my article, here on the Sprout Social Insights blog.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Such an insightful article, @gregrokisky - Thanks for sharing 🙌🏽! I know a bunch of folks at The Arb that would find this interesting: @LeslieDC @brad.keeling @Nycole @kyle.skinner21, Greg’s article is a great summary of Thread’s early days, peppered with some updates and tips that might be useful as we all learn to navigate around the new network. Curious to hear your thoughts!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you, @Gayatri Shukla! Hope this is helpful to folks. Happy to answer any additional questions. 

Userlevel 2

“First-day-of-school energy” - perfect description. Love the authentic conversations being had on Threads right now. Thanks for this awesome article and insight!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@michaelajo20 right? It really did have that same vibe. So glad you enjoyed and it resonated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @gregrokisky! Now that Sprout has launched the Threads integration, I was curious if you have any new thoughts or insight to share on your Threads strategy?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you, @Laura Porcincula!! SO pumped that some of the day-to-day stress of Threads management is off my shoulders now we can schedule in Sprout (other SMMs, I *seeee* you). 

I think a lot of what we originally found in our exploration of the platform holds up. Without analytics we can’t go extremely deep in our understanding of impact but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. This is still the platform we’re trying to let loose a bit more and have the personality of Sprout come through (see this one about corporate jargon: https://www.threads.net/@sproutsocial/post/C3qTtkOR-zR). 

We’ll also have an updated version of this Insights article coming out soon. 

In the meantime, I’d love to hear how others are thinking about Threads, or what ideas/questions/observations they might have! Bring ‘em on 👀

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@gregory.brey, @kaleb_brown17 @dianna.lyngholm @samantha.hart @Anna Laura McGranahan @kyle.skinner21 @sophie.edwards curious to hear from you here, I know Threads has been on your mind! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks for thinking of me! I was really interested when Threads first came out, I joined the night it went live and it felt like a massive SMM sleepover lol. The energy was palpable but it seems like it fizzled before it could really establish itself as a go-to platform. 

As a personal user, I check every now and again, but haven’t made the move for any of my clients to actively post. I’d be curious to hear from early brand adopters whether they’re still using the platform and seeing success.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We set up our Threads straight away, but haven’t been utilizing it at this point. Would love to hear from folks what kind of success they’ve found on it from an engagement and purchase side of things! We’re so focused on our tiktok account right now and prepping to scale that during our busy Halloween season again. Keep an eye out for the Case Study they are doing on us (FUN.com/HalloweenCostumes.com) coming out in the next couple months!

Userlevel 2

We use it as a Twitter alternative as we, and our parent brands, are completely off of X. As a film nonprofit, we post clips from films as well as blog articles that we publish to our site. Engagement is relatively low, but we’re seeing some consistent growth so we’ll stick with it for now.