Solved

Social Best Practices during Events

• 17 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have a customer who is looking to train their team, mostly sales and individual contributors, on how to use social media for events. 

• If you’re attending a conference, what should you do before the event on social? Like posting that you are attending and following the event hashtag. 
  • What should you do on social during the event?
  • What should you do on social after the event? 
  • What are some best practices you’ve seen?

Would love to gather some insights from you all!

icon

Best answer by morgan.dominique 18 April 2023, 19:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey there!

I would suggest putting together a simple deck or one-sheeter that begins with some best practices and BASICS (assuming that the crowd isn’t particularly socially savvy) then providing links that go a bit deeper into the key basics you outline.  Some quick notes off the top of my head below. I hope this helps! 

Basics: 

• Benefits of being active on social during the event: connect, engage/ build relationships, thought leadership etc. 
  • Recommendation for platforms and context for each (assuming twitter, IG stories and in-feed posts and Linkedin?) 
    • Provide a brief recommendation for posting cadence (IE: 5-10 twitter posts or IG stories is much different than 10in-feed IG or Linkedin posts :) 
  • The difference between mentioning the event (or other linkable text) vs @mentioning 
  • Participating in conversation and replying to comments
  • Finding conversation to jump into via hashtags 
  • Encourage them not to overthink things :) 
  • Provide as many samples or mockups as possible with each key piece of info you provide to the group
  • Meeting someone in IRL - > connect on Linkedin 

Event Details

• A quick guide or handy resource that outlines what hashtags and handles to consider integrating into posts 
    • Attendees and event partners/sponsors
    • Brand partners
    • Your company CEO or leadership team members
    • Speakers
    • Colleagues 
    • Event venue/geo tag
    • presenting sponsor
    • Event hashtags 
  • Event Hashtags
  • Typos - This is where I would usually also callout any very easy-to-misspell words or account names. Pointing it out on the early side may make people think twice and be a bit more careful/mindful when posting 
  • Types of things they could post + Examples
    • Keynote speaker quotes that were compelling
    • Thoughts on different experiential activations + brand mentions 
    • Share their experience overall
      • Excitement to be there
      • Want to learn more about something or get other people’s pov? Throw a question out to the community
      • Have a great experience? Share it! ex: registration line was super fast and efficient? Rave about how great the event operations are!

If you go the slide deck route, I would include a recap/tldr slide that includes the most essential takeaways and reminders.  :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey there!

I would suggest putting together a simple deck or one-sheeter that begins with some best practices and BASICS (assuming that the crowd isn’t particularly socially savvy) then providing links that go a bit deeper into the key basics you outline.  Some quick notes off the top of my head below. I hope this helps! 

Basics….

MORGAN! This is amazing. thanks for all of the detail you put into this reply. I love what you said about typos and commons misspellings. Even a reminder about free tools like Grammarly can make a world of different for individual contributors and sales reps. 

Userlevel 1

So glad you found it useful! If there’s anything else I can do to help just LMK!