Skip to main content

AI in social media is a double-edged sword

• 13 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Great topic, @Jonathan Zuluaga. And increasingly relevant as AI become more pervasive throughout social media, so it’s important to reflect on how AI can be a positive or a negative force in social media.

First the positives. As a tool in the hands of a social marketer, AI can automate processes like content management; greatly improve data analytics; and personalize content with algorithms. AI is not a do-everything technology or process. It’s a versatile tool that’s only as ethical, capable, or humanized, really, as the professional harnessing it.

But on the flip side, AI can be misused and abused, so that it feels inauthentic and even unethical. Ensuring those lines aren’t crossed are even more important because it already feels overused in some ways, so many consumers are wary of AI. For example, many social media platforms (such as Facebook) are cluttered now with AI content and spread around like copypasta. It’s tougher these days to wade through that kind of content for authentic or meaningful posts and messaging. 

So, AI in social media is a sharp, sometimes, risky tool to use, and it can easily cut both ways. Short of well-designed guardrails on AI models and GenAI, I don’t expect those upsides and downsides to change anytime soon.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

But if I had to pick one thing I loved or hated about AI right now in social media, I’d probably highlight how frustrating it is to deal with GenAI-powered “clutter” or spam posts on social media platforms. It’s added quantity of content, sure, but for the most part, not really that much quality to these platforms.