New Social Post Sizes on Facebook and X

• 30 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello!

My team noticed that the Always Up-To-Date Guide for social post sizes was updated yesterday, and X and Facebook have changed drastically from the norm (at least from the last time we checked). Does anyone know what sparked this change? Is anyone using these sizes yet?

The recommended size for a graphic on Facebook and X is now 1080x1350.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am not using them, but will be now. Thanks for sharing here. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have noticed that my graphics on Facebook didn’t seem to be sized correctly anymore. Glad to see them update this because I wasn’t find an answer on it anywhere else. 

Will this change be made to the “Crop & Edit Image” feature in Sprout?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We started using these sizes for digital ads in December because we were noticing weird changes to our ads’ graphics on Facebook when just using the standard IG feed sizes.

We haven’t started using them for just regular post sizes yet, however.

Userlevel 3

What was the old sizing?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I believe it was 1200x630. It is now 1080 x 1350. 

I just wish Facebook and Instagram would match! 😂

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’ve always used 1200x627 for blog/horizontal photos since they work on all platforms as link previews. 

FB used to be fine with any size photos, but I’ve noticed they seem to prefer horizontal specs on desktop. If you upload a square graphic, it adds weird bars on the side to “fill out” the empty space.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Anna Laura McGranahan, it’s frustrating. The bars still get added with their new sizing recommendations on desktop, but it looks far better on mobile. It’s impossible to win on all sizes! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It really is! Don’t even get me started on FB cover photo specs, they’ve been the bane of my existence for *years* now. 🙄

@tiffany.cooke can you share a link for where you saw this? Thanks! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@nellie.schroder, Hi! I originally saw it here: https://sproutsocial.com/insights/social-media-image-sizes-guide/#facebook and then I fact checked it directly from the source: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/469767027114079?id=271710926837064

@tiffany.cooke thanks!!!