Holiday Giveaway Extravaganza

Giveaway Extravaganza: Day 3

• 13 December 2023
  • 45 replies
Giveaway Extravaganza: Day 3
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

What's your social media marketing pet peeve?

Is it your hate for the world “viral”? Share it the thread below with the community and see if others can relate. Jump in on others conversations and share your perspective.

How to Participate:

Reply to the question in the thread below and converse with others for a chance to win a ChatGPT Bible Book, a $50 Amazon gift card, and swag like an Arboretum Pen, Sticker, and Echo Water Bottle!

📆 Want to see the other giveaways? See the full line-up here: 

The Promotion begins at 9:00 a.m. Central Time (“CT”) on December 13, 2023, and ends at 11:59 p.m. CT on December 13, 2023. To participate in the promotion, engage with the outlined discussions by sharing your social media marketing pet peeve for the chance to win a ChatGPT Bible Book & $50 Amazon Gift Card - $50. One prize will be awarded. No purchase necessary. Open to legal residents of the United States (with the exception of Hawaii), the District of Columbia (“D.C.”), Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, 21 years or older. Information provided to Sprout Social, Inc. is subject to our privacy policy.

To read the full terms and conditions, here.

45 replies

Userlevel 1

I hate when people are slaves to the algorithm. It changes all the time, I refuse to let it control everything I do! 

My pet peeve is spelling or grammar errors😅 For example in the prompt for this giveaway “It is your hate for the world “viral”? Share it the thread below”

Userlevel 3

Performative Activism. This has been particularly frustrating, especially from a professional perspective. It is pretty common, especially when a widespread conversation happens, for businesses to want to be part of it. This can be a reasonable and potentially great strategy if done strategically. However, when it comes to social causes, it's a different territory.

Many clients feel the need to post about a cause or acknowledge a particular holiday, but they often lack depth or substance behind their message. For instance, an organization mainly comprised of men insisting on posting about International Women's Day with a video of the male CEO... It can lead to challenging and uncomfortable conversations on my end and becomes a delicate situation to navigate.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Too Many Hashtags. Don’t get me wrong, hashtags are great and enhance searchability but #CanYouImagine #HavingToRead #WordsLikeThis #AllTheTime on #SocialMedia? Using fewer hashtags that directly relate to your content will result in a more enjoyable reader experience.

Userlevel 2

May be a tie between “Can you post this flyer?” and “The event is tomorrow and we are low on numbers. Can you post something?”

Trend content that feels SO off brand. If you are a serious brand why are you posting the Barbie meme? 

Userlevel 3

Personally I hate the complexity of the Facebook Ads Manager dashboard.  It’s more complicated than the cockpit of a Boeing 747 airliner. ✈

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My pet peeve is spelling or grammar errors😅 For example in the prompt for this giveaway “It is your hate for the world “viral”? Share it the thread below”

I am bothered by them more in images and videos vs. text, but I hear you

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Being looped into projects after creative for social has been created. And all of the above. However, @amanda.lor is it bad that I can read hashtags better than normal text sometimes? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Too Many Hashtags. Don’t get me wrong, hashtags are great and enhance searchability but #CanYouImagine #HavingtoRead #WordsLikethis #AlltheTime on #SocialMedia? Using fewer hashtags that directly relate to your content will result in a more enjoyable reader experience.

I admit I use them at the bottom when they ARE not meant to be read, but searchable.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My pet peeve is that you can’t do everything in one platform.

Userlevel 2

I am not a fan of contests where they ask for you to follow and tag and share, it turns out so spammy and those follows aren’t genuinely interested in your everyday content. 😫

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am not a fan of contests where they ask for you to follow and tag and share, it turns out so spammy and those follows aren’t genuinely interested in your everyday content. 😫

I generally agree with you, but I will say we’ve gotten a few genuine followers out of a giveaway or two from this past year (on IG at least).

Userlevel 1

My pet peeve is when there is a UCG photo I want to use, but it isn’t shared in our photo contest link! We are allowed to share UCG’s that have been added to the photo contest. On occasion, a customer with post a STUNNING photo (we sell bikes and they will be on a stunning trail) and I can’t use my dream photo cause it wasn’t shared. We can reach out to the customer and request they share it but they don’t always follow-up and my dream photo remains un-shareable. 💔

Userlevel 2
Badge

My pet peeve is QR codes on social media graphics or links in Instagram captions.

Userlevel 1

My pet peeve is QR Codes on social!!! I see them way too often and it hurts me more every time. 😢

Userlevel 3

I have to say, I agree with brooklyn.smith-- it’s the grammar/spelling errors for me too! I did have a coworker once test this out thought and he said he got BETTER engagement with it, but my guess is that it’s mostly people correcting errors in the comments 😂

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Personally I hate the complexity of the Facebook Ads Manager dashboard.  It’s more complicated than the cockpit of a Boeing 747 airliner. ✈

Ohh my gosh this!! So unnecessary

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Influencers asking for free stuff 💀

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

When someone unnecessarily “duets” a funny reel or tiktok, adding nothing to it….just sitting there nodding their head in an attempt to gain likes/engagements off someone else’s content. 

Also - Meta Business Suite! 😵

Mine is when your colleagues demand posts out of you without respecting the content creation process. No, I can’t just put together a “quick video” for you by EOD tomorrow, we have a checklist to follow and a content plan to stick to! However, I do love the new ideas these people bring to the table, even if we can’t implement them right away. 

My social media pet peeve is businesses hiring social media managers for their skills and perspective, but not being willing and open to trying new things and thinking outside of the box because they want everything to be their way. Social media is always evolving so being able to evolve with it is essential. Plus, if you hire someone, why micromanage them and deny all of their ideas that could benefit your business?

Broken up hashtags like #Social #Media LOL

Userlevel 2

My social media pet peeve is when brands regularly create challenges/contests asking you to follow 5+ companies and tag all your friends. I understand that if done sparingly and strategically, it can be beneficial and lead to an increased audience (even if temporary). Still, so many of them seem like a superficial way to gain followers quickly and detract from engagement.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

“Post this now and do it like that.”

That’s a recipe for poor results.