Skip to main content
Question

Is your Facebook pen graphs failing to pull correct thumbnail to page when published?

• 24 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Is anyone else having trouble with Facebook pulling incorrect images when scheduling and sending content on to their timelines? Every time we try to post a link, without editing Title and Description of the Attached Link, and it pulls up the default thumbnail of our website and not the specified thumbnail that is associated with that page.

It’s only when we change the Title and Description of the Attached Link is when it pulls in the image correctly.

This has been happening since Mid-April of this year.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Are you familiar with the Meta Sharing Debugger? One of my devs showed it to me years ago and it’s my favorite tool! 

https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

If you’re having issues with link previews, it’s most likely a website issue. I use Yoast for Wordpress sites to updated back-end metadata and link preview images, then I run the link through the Debugger.

Here’s an example of running sproutsocial.com through the Debugger:

If anything on the website side has changed since April of last year, that could be your answer. If it was a redesign/new. agency, etc, you might also want to make sure your domain is verified through Meta. (more info here)

I would start with running links through the Debugger before scheduling in Sprout. If it’s not pulling correctly, click “Debug” or “Scrape Again.” Depending on the site, it can take a while for the metadata to populate correctly. If it’s still showing up wrong in the Debugger, it’s a question for your web developer. 

Hope this helped!